Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 17:31:24 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI binary support

Mark Mayo wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960516001115.26905B-100000@scooter.quickweb.com>:
> Stupid question here:
>
> How compatible is FreeBSD (2.1R) with BSDI binaries? The reason I ask is
> that I run the BSDI versions of the Netscape Proxy server with no
> problems, but I just tried setting up the BSDI 2.1 binaries for the
> Microsoft FrontPage server extensions (for web authoring..) and all of
> their binaries just core dump on me.. what's the reason for this?

The Netscape serevrs are mosly compiled on BSDI's BSD/OS 1.x, which
FreeBSD 2.1 is compatabile with. For BSD/OS 2.x binaries, you will
need to upgrade to a -stable version (complete upgrade, kernel &
user-land also) built from sources dated after the 22nd of February
(1996). (Or move to -current)

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.