Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:08:28 -0400
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        Hung Michael Nguyen <miker@cs.utexas.edu>
Cc:        ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu (Justin Ashworth), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of things...

>>  Does anybody know how to save config options in XEmacs? I set what
>> I wanted, chose the 'Save Options' option, restarted XEmacs and my
>> settings were back to the default. Any ideas?

Hung> I just had this problem, after upgrading my XEmacs from 19.13 to
Hung> 19.14 (from the source, not from the package). It seems that
Hung> when XEmacs reads your .emacs file, it will stop if there is an
Hung> error, and therefore never read in the .xemacs-options file. In
Hung> my case, it was stuff from when I used GNU Emacs.

Right. The best way to debug your .emacs is to start it with -q

$ xemacs -q

Then eval these expressions:

(setq debug-on-error t)
(load-file "~/.emacs")

--
C Matthew Curtin        MEGASOFT, LLC        Director, Security Architecture
I speak only for myself.  Don't whine to anyone but me about anything I say.