Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:42:51 +0100
From:      Daniel Pocock <daniel@readytechnology.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   L2TP server support?

Hi,

I've been looking at the L2TP server support in FreeBSD.

So far, I've found the following:

    sl2tps

    mpd + some patch - L2TP patch documented in German

    l2tpd - marked as broken

Given that the mpd patch was not in ports, and was only documented in
German, and that l2tpd was marked broken, I though I would try sl2tps.

However, when trying to connect from l2tpd on Linux, the FreeBSD box
logs the following and rejects the attempt: "processing failed on
mandatory AVP"

After a few attempts, the sl2tps process stops responding to any L2TP
packets.  Even killing the process and starting it again doesn't help -
I have to completely reboot the FreeBSD box, which suggests there is a
fault in the kernel code.

Can someone please advise the preferred way of running a stable L2TP
server on FreeBSD?  Which version of FreeBSD and which daemon?   We are
aiming to terminate 100+ concurrent tunnels from a variety of client
devices.

Regards,

Daniel

r2# sl2tps -D
debug: starting subsystem "curconf"
debug: starting subsystem "pidfile"
debug: creating pidfile "/var/run/sl2tps.pid"
debug: starting subsystem "error_log"
notice: process 567 server started
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

r2# sl2tps -D
info: waiting for connections...
debug: starting subsystem "curconf"
debug: starting subsystem "pidfile"
debug: creating pidfile "/var/run/sl2tps.pid"
debug: starting subsystem "error_log"
notice: process 568 server started
info: [xxxx:1701]: rec'd SCCRQ in state idle
info: [xxxx:1701]: connected to "h1", version=1.0
info: [xxxx:1701]: rec'd SCCCN in state wait-ctl-conn
info: [xxxx:1701]: rec'd ICRQ in state established
info: [xxxx:1701]: call #0: rec'd CDN in state wait-connect
info: call from [xxxx:1701] terminated: result=2 error=6
errmsg="processing failed on mandatory AVP"