Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:33:07 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An idiot, his box, and a security question [PuTTY telnet/ssh]

On 2002-03-17 00:17, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > You can then login with your normal use name/password then "su" to super user.
>
> I still don't get this whole "don't use root" issue.  If I had installed
> Win2000 at home (after having had EEEEnough of Win98SR1), then I would've
> created a login with Administrator rights.  I login as root to my FreeBSD
> 4.5-RELEASE box all the time.  The "su" command confuses me, so I stay way
> away from it, besides, I am constantly tweaking *system-wide* and
> installing programs, so why would I ever login from userland??
>
> Can someone clarify this Unix no-no please?

a) It's dangerous.  A simple command line error, and you can wipe away
   disks, erase important files, send users to oblivion, etc.  But more
   importantly...

b) If you log into the system as a normal user and then use "su" to become
   root, the user-ID change is logged.  You know when and who used "su" to
   do administrative work.  I know that this sounds like an unreasonable
   waste of time for a single user workstation, but it is important in
   other environments, and you won't be hurt by acquiring "good habits"
   while working at home.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/