Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:46:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@veritas.com>
To:        GReg meno <kbagel@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNING: preposterous clock chip time.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, GReg meno wrote:

> my systems time is messed up
> date returns a random time which is sometimes off a
> day and a few hours or a year
> on bootup i get
>
> 	WARNING: preposterous clock chip time
>          --- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
>
> what is going on here?

Need some more details. There was, hee hee, a y2k bug when it didn't
believe that year < 70 was a valid year. This was fixed around the 2nd of
January for -current. So -what kernel are you running. What machine,
etc...

If you are running this particular machine with OSF/1, there's a different
interpretation on the NVRAM in the toy (chip), or if you switch with ARC
and run NT, there's yet *another* intepretation of NVRAM, so they all step
on each other. This is a known problem, but hasn't been a high priority
issue to fix.

> PS is there some website for freebsd alpha simmilar to
> www.alphalinux.org that has answers to all these kind
> of questions ?

Wish there was- I don't know if there really is one set up yet. We sure
need one.

-matt