Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:48:35 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Look of boot2, on HDD

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> 2011/4/29  <rank1seeker@gmail.com>:
>> /boot/boot2    STAGE 2 bootstrap file
>> Understands the FreeBSD file system enough, to find files on it, and can provide a simple interface to choose the kernel or loader to run.
>>
>> Once sys is fully booted, HDD is 'ada0'.
>> However, STAGE 2, sees it, as a 'ad4', at boot process, which is same seen, by booted sys, when I turn off AHCI.
>>
>> So, here is the riddle ...
>> On fully booted sys, how do I query STAGE 2, to tell me, how it'll see, my 'ada0' HDD?
>
>     This is a very interesting catch:
>
> /usr/src/sys/boot/pc98/boot2/boot2.c:static const char *const
> dev_nm[NDEV] = {"ad", "da", "fd"};
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot2.c:static const char *const
> dev_nm[NDEV] = {"ad", "da", "fd"};
>
>     It probably will be a no-op soon because of some of the
> compatibility changes Alex made, but still a potential point of
> confusion nonetheless.

Pardon my ignorance, but could somebody shed some light for me on this
list of names? Why much more sophisticated loader(8) operates disks as
diak0/1/..., while boot2 tries to mimic something he has no any idea
about, using very limited information from random sources? Does this
names important for anything?

Even with old ATA names didn't match on my laptop: boot2 reports ad0,
while system - ad4. Also we have a lot of drivers who's disk names don't
fit into this set of ad, da and fd.

--
Alexander Motin