Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 16:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Gorm Jorgensen <Gorm@Area51.DK>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha CPU Performance vs i386

Gorm Jorgensen writes:

 > I can't seem to find any specs on how an Alpha 500 MHz is performing vs an
 > Intel 500MHz.
 >
 > Is Alpha faster, slower or generally the same ?

Yes.

Its generally slower for integer & faster for floating point than x86
hardware of a similar vintage.  However, if you want good floating
point, you need to use the compaq ccc compiler.

 > This is difficult I know, cause Intel has Pentium II, III and other sorts -
 > but just some generally hint might help me.
 >
 > I'm just curious to find out if my Miata 500au is better than my Dual PPro
 > 200 MHz.

Since you own the machines, this is easy.  Whichever machine is faster
for what apps you care about is better.  You don't need any benchmarks.

Drew