Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 02:19:46 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <stephen_roome@yahoo.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
Cc:        Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 03:34:09PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:21:09PM +0100, Steve Roome wrote:
> > ping http://www.myserver.wherever/
> >  instead of telnet wherever 80, just to see if I get a connected or
> >  not ?
>
> Do you have *ANY* clue how ping works?  Ping uses ICMP packets; not TCP,
> not UDP -- thus there is NO concept of ports.  And what does "instead of
> telnet mean"??  Again, do you have any clue how ping works?

I certainly understand that ping currently works on ICMP, and that a
feature enhancement to allow it to use a different type of packet
might be, perhaps to some, a useful addition to its capability.

Considering, for example, that an ICMP packet may take a very
different route to (and hence time to reach) the destination machine
comparted to a TCP/IP packet containing http information it might not
be such a bad idea. e.g. Transparent web proxies.

Had you read the thread of course, you may have noticed that I was
merely replying to someone else who has asked about this sort of
functionality. But feel free to take a dig at _me_ anyway, I won't be
frightened away from it all just yet. Luckily I'm not a new user who's
going to take harshly and hate us bloody arrogant unix zealots though.

> To the person that wants to "traceroute http://www.myserver.wherever/",
> do you have *ANY* clue how traceroute works?  You cannnot use a port that
> something is answering on.

Again, if you've got a transparent web proxy in the way, this would be
a really nice feature. I've not got a clue how to implement it though,
it would probably involve changing the way rather a lot of network
hardware works, I just commented on it.

	Steve