Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:52:58 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Carl Reisinger <cer@mirapoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing > 64KB records to SCSI Tape, FreeBSD 4.1 (?)

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 18:03:22 -0800, Carl Reisinger wrote:
> I would like to write records of 128KB to a SCSI tape device
> (DLT 7 or 8000, LTO).
>
> While MAXPHYS is 128KB, the code in kern_physio:physio will
> adjust the max size based on the value of dev->si_iosize_max.
>
> It my case it appears that this value is 0 (or < PAGE_SIZE),
> so physio will set si_iosize_max to DFLTPHYS which is
> defined to be 64KB. In any case DFLTPHYS is the limit I am
> hitting.
>
> This in turn will cause the 128KB write to be broken into
> two 64KB writes, which just doesn't work for me.
>
> The best solution, for me, would be a change to scsi_sa.c
> that will set si_iosize_max for the device.
>
> Can anyone help?

64K is pretty much the lowest common denominator as far as transfer size
goes.

I believe that's pretty close to what an Adaptec 1542 can handle, so that's
why we've left it at that size.  (From a CAM standpoint that is.)

I would suggest just bumping si_iosize_max up to 128K in your copy of the
sa(4) driver and see if that does the trick.

> NOTE: While most of the kernel is based on 4.1-STABLE, I
> believe the CAM subsystem and scsi_sa has been lifted from
> 4.3. (The behaviour is the same under 4.5)

Sounds "interesting". :)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry