Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 21:08:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

As Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >. GENERIC is known to run on many installed machines, ...

> Maybe I have a bad attitude, but...  This is Unix.  If they can't or
> don't want to build their own kernel, they should be running Windows
> or OS/2.

A bad attitude.  Because they don't even bother to ask you before
using this kernel on their machines. :-) They simply do it, and i've
got the impression that the GENERIC kernels are doing it quite fine
for most of them.  So while _we_ (the developers) believe nobody would
even start without a customized kernel, _they_ (our ``customers'')
prove us wrong by simply ignoring us.

:-)

Get me right, i'm not really arguing for keeping this legacy cruft.
Let's face it, the average PeeCee doesn't need more than sio0 and sio1
plus lpt0 plus sc0 plus one disk controller (perhaps two for the
inferior case of wdc) plus one ethernet adapter.  For people who are
running multi-port serial cards, or gateway machines with multiple
ethernets, recompiling the kernel is most likely the very first step
after the system booted off the hard disk for the first time.

--
cheers, J"org