Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:44:02 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PID's at max, what next??

>	Ok, this is a curiousity question.  But when your server reaches
>it's maximum number of allowed PID's, what does it do?  I've never had one
>reach its maximum number of PID's, so I have never seen what happens
>after that.  So I'm just curious.  Thanks.

   Do you mean the maximum number of processes or do you mean the process ID
number gets to 99999? In the first case (max process limit), you get an error
that says "proc: table is full", but the system continues to run (except that
no more processes can be created). In the second case when the process ID
number reaches 99999, it just wraps around to the first available number
after 100.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
President, Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.