Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:14:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scott@patton.com (Scott Whittle)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and what they do?

> What (or where can I find?) what the port assignments do for some of the popular
> I/O ports out in the world. I am looking for serial and more importantly the
> ethernet port.  If I state the base address as 0x300 for a NE2000 clone, what
> ports are used and for what?  is 300 read=data in  write-data out? or is it
> a control port?

The answer to this question is extremely card specific.  The answer
is not the same for all NE2000 clone cards, for instance.

The information should be available in the manufacturer documentation
that comes with the card.

For on-board devices, I suggest the "Inside the XXX Bus" series of
books (XXX == ISA, EISA, MCA, PCI, etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.