Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:04:51 -0800
From:      Joseph Olatt <joji@eskimo.com>
To:        Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <eugenydzh@jdevelop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Palm Tungsten E2

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 01:03:13PM +0200, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 08:21:56AM -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:26:56PM +0200, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> > >
> > > okay, after rebuilding kernel i was able to connect with JPilot and see some
> > > data. Now I have questions - how can i upload, for example, PDF document or
> > > MP3 file?
> >
> > I believe you can convert your mp3 files to .pdb files using the "par"
> > utility (http://handhelds.freshmeat.net/projects/parpdb/).
> >
> > Once you convert them to a .pdb, they can be uploaded onto your palm
> > using the "pilot-xfer" command line program (/usr/ports/palm/pilot-link).
>
> Well....
> pilot-xfer -p /dev/ucom0 -i bessonnica.pdb
>

> Listening to port: /dev/ucom0
>
> Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
>
> Installing bessonnica.pdb                     failed.
> Time elapsed: 0:00:16

Is it possible that permissions on /dev/ucom0 is causing the failure?
It could be that you as a non-root user is not being able to write to
/dev/ucom0. /dev/ucom0 is created when you press the HotSync button
(on 5.x and above).

I've had to add the following lines to /etc/devd.conf to get the
permissions right.

attach 100 {
        device-name "ucom0";
        action "chmod 666 /dev/ucom0";
};

Alternatively, you can "chmod 0666 /dev/ucom0" after you press the
HotSync button before running pilot-xfer or, you can run pilot-xfer as
root.

regards,
joseph