Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2006 06:54:48 -0500
From:      JD Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do you install wx-config in FreeBSD?

bob self wrote:
> JD Arnold wrote:
>
>> bob self wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 and have installed
>>> wxgtk2-2.6.2_1 and wxgtk2-common-2.6.2.
>>>
>>> VLC runs fine so I know that wxwidges is installed correctly. But I
>>> want to install the wxsamples
>>> and compile them. I copied wxsamples manually and try to compile
>>> using a script from an older
>>> freebsd system but it wants wx-config and I can't find out how to get
>>> that installed using the
>>> ports. Which port would include that?
>>

>> wx-config is in the wxWidgets port, only it is named using the version
>> of wxgtk:
>>
>> /usr/X11R6/bin/wxgtk2-2.6-config
>>
>> I guess maybe they don't want to overwrite any existing wx-config, but I
>> suppose it would be nice if the port installer checked for it, and if it
>> didn't exist, create it using a link. You should do that (as root):
>>
>> # cd /usr/X11R6/bin
>> # ln wx-gtk2-2.6-config wx-config
>>
>> You can find out whether it got intalled by the wxgtk port by using
>> pkg_info:
>>
>> # pkg_info -xL wxgtk | grep bin
>>
>> would should show where the -config and the wxrc got installed.
>>
>> BTW, I talk about the pkg_info option in a recent post on my blog. Thanks
>> to Dru from OnLamp.com for showing me this very cool option, something
>> I've
>> always wondered about, as sometimes it can be very mysterious as to
>> what and
>> where a port might install stuff.
>>
> I did find setup.h in /usr/X11R6/include/wx-2.6/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6
>
> I installed wxgtk2 using portupgrade but no configuration screen came up.
> What is the procedure to configure wxgtk2 if you use portupgrade? I see
> that my setup.h has
> #define wxUSE_MEDIACTRL     0
> which is not what I want, so I need to reconfigure it but haven't been
> able to find out how to do that.

When you use the ports system, you can see the normal source distribution in
the /usr/ports/(category)/(port)/work folder. So if you go into :

/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/wxGTK26/work/wxGTK-2.6.1

you see the "normal" installation hierarchy. INSTALL.txt gives you more
installation options, and reading the configure script file in there gives
you even more.  You'll see in configure an option called '--enable-mediactrl'.
Edit the Makefile in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/wxGTK26 to add that flag to the
configure run. After you do this, you'll want to go into the work folder and
run make clean, then go back to the wxGTK26 folder and re-run make && make install.
I think there is some way to tell the make to redo stuff because you've changed
the config options, but I can never remember the variable to set.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.