Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:30:16 +1000
From:      "Richard Lyon" <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ld is running out of swap space when linking Octave 2.0.9

 Hi,

I attempted to compile the latest version of Octave (2.0.9) but ran into a
nasty problem.
The linker ld is coming up with an error message indicating it cannot
allocate further
memory, which is followed by a system console message saying no swap space
left.

This is a big application and the whole compile/link sequence on Octave
2.0.5 used to take
about half a day on my 486. I closed down X to free up resources and tried
again, but still
the same problem.

Some details:

486 machine with 16 meg of ram
32 meg swap area on hard drive
FreeBSD 2.2.1
XFree 3.2
GMAKE 3.75

./configure --with-x --without-linux-vga --with-gnu-readline --with-lasergnu
\
--prefix=/usr/local --exec-prefix=/usr/local

gmake all (which by default uses CFLAGS=-O2 and CXXFLAGS=-O2 and
will create static libraries for the final link).

One possible solution is to increase the swap area on the hard disk.
Unfortunately
this will require a complete re-install. Are there any other alternatives?

I don't want to use the precompiled package as it is quite a few versions
behind.

Regards