Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 15:25:18 +0100
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@qix.co.uk>
To:        oldcpgmr@netscape.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 and windows 98 don't play well together

>I was wondering whether someone could shed some light on this for me:  I've installed
>FreeBSD 4.3, Debian Linux 2.2r2 and windows 98 on my laptop.  Everything is fine except
>that after using FreeBSD if I try to go into windows, the system locks up.  If I turn
>the power off and back on after attempting to boot windows once, it works fine.

I have the same kind of problem with my Toshiba Portege 3440CT laptop.  After
using FreeBSD and XFree86, if I reboot into Windows without turning the power
off completely (i.e. if I type "reboot") Windows 98 gets very confused about the
state of the video card, and comes up in 640x480 mode.  Only a cold boot fixes it.

It seems that there is more to a "reboot" than simply reloading the software,
there must some procedure for resetting the hardware to its power-on state that
FreeBSD isn't implementing.

Aled
--
        ++  Amazingly cheap server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++             http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/                ++