Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:59:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FYI: A thought on 64-bit time_t on Alpha

On 31-Oct-01 Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Gang,
>
> We all seem to be of the opinion that the 64-bit archs should
> have a 64-bit time_t. The question that is unanswered at this
> time is whether this includes the Alpha.
>
> What I want to avoid is that Alpha will continue to be the odd
> one even if it's not anymore the only 64-bit arch (or even the
> only "other" arch). For some reason I don't think it's a good
> idea to have the Alpha cuddle up with i386. Not only will it
> be the odd one among the 64-bit archs, it will not stop being
> the odd one in the 32-bit camp.
>
> So, whatever we decide, let's keep in mind that it can harm the
> Alpha too if we treat it as an 32-bit arch and not have time_t
> be 64-bit.
>
> From where I'm standing, it looks that the pain of changing the
> Alpha is more like a short painful sting, compared to the long
> and nagging itch of not changing time_t. I'd rather have the
> sting...
>
> Just FYI,

Alpha will be dead long before 2038.  It's not really a widely used embedded
target, so I don't think there will be legacy Alpha systems running by then.
In short, there is very little gain for the pain here.  Just leave it alone.
:)

Another interesting question is what do we do with ppc.  It is ILP32, but it's
a new arch, so we could make time_t 64-bit on it (except that then time_t >
long which could be a problem.)