Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:49:45 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> As Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>
> > > X should inherit this from the console driver too...
> > >

> > If kbdcontrol gave us an easy way to tell what the keymap actually is,
> > as opposed to a bunch of raw data. I don't want to have to try to parse
> > a keymap to tell what it is.
>
> This used to work before the xkb code went in.

The point being?

> (I admit that the
> *way* how it worked was quite painful, but the initial mapping was
> there in place.)

If you don't want the features of XKB, run the server with -xkb or add
XkbDisable to your XF86Config. Really, how tough is it to edit your XF86Config
file? Yeah, it'd be nice if you didn't have to do it two places, but it doesn't
take a PhD to do it either, so kwicherbitchen and edit your XF86Config file
to make XKB load the keymap you want.

If you want XKB in XFree86 to automatically work better on FreeBSD then I
need some better support at the OS level.

--

Kaleb "Grumpy" KEITHLEY