Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 09:56:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Soren Schmidt)
Cc:        Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changes to console code?

> It seems Joachim Isaksson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I was running current 4.0 990318 (as far as I can remember, can look that up
> > once I get home from work), and yesterday I decided to do an upgrade to 990504
> > via a clean install from boot floppy.
> >
> >  My console now decides to go blank when the probe for sc0 is attempted. As far
> > as I can see it never gets any further in the boot sequence. Luckily I got the
> > problem at floppy boot, not after killing my old system off :)
>
> Hmm, I've seen this a couble of times, but a reboot have succeded every time.
> The machine is locked solid when this happens, so I've kindof written it
> off as flaky HW, that might have been premature. I thought it was hanging
> in the VESA/VM86 code, but I dont think that is enabled on the boot floppy...
>
> Hmm...
>
> -Søren

I'm seeing something similar.... very current code makes my system
essentially throw the cursor all over a blank screen (like it's printing
spaces or tabs very fast)... Going back to Mar 15th's kernel, it went away.
I haven't had time to track this down any further, but i blamed it on
weird hardware too. :)

Kevin