Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:41:05 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Charles Farinella <cfarinella@appropriatesolutions.com>
Subject:   Re: automatically starting PostgreSQL

Reko Turja wrote:

> Ports are not to be mixed with packages.

If you are using "ports" and "packages" solely in
"FreeBSD Terms", then this isn't correct*.  Once installed,
there is no/little-if-any difference; /var/db/pkg is
common to both, and the standard package tools operate
equally well for upgrading and/or de-installation.

I'm not trying to stomp anyone, but this is an area
that confused me Once Upon A Time, and we don't do
anyone any favors by continuing to propagate this
statement as an axiom.

Kevin Kinsey

*I'm ready to accept responses from a superior intellect
who says I'm wrong, but I really don't think so in this case.
--
Death has been proven to be 99% fatal in laboratory rats.