Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:44:42 -0500
From:      "Matthew Jonkman" <jonkman@bussert.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba config

I have a very frustrating samba problem. I've followed every handbook and
man page to the letter.
However the dumb thing won't work.

I have 3.3 running as a firewall, using apache and popper. It has 2 nics of
course, a public IP and the internal net is 10.10.10.

I installed the samba port today from a port tree that was cvsup'd this
morning.

I start samba from inetd.conf with the default lines included.

Windows machines see the share in network neighborhood but they say "Machine
is not accessible. The server did not receive your request. Please try again
later."

When I try

smbclient -L <machine name>

I get

added interface..... (correct info)
added interface...... (correct outside interface info)
session request to <machine name> failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

And back to a prompt.

I am quite frustrated. Samba is supposed to be pretty simple. I guess that
makes me below simple minded. :)

Anyway, here's my smb.conf file. If someone could pick through it and let me
know what I'm missing I would greatly appreciate it.
By the way, testparm shows it all good.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = SHARP-MITCHELL