Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:43:34 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed On Small Office Hub and Net Adapters

"gummibear@nettaxi.com" writes:
>Now, I feel that 3com is pretty reliable but very expensive.  Intel on
>the ot her hand is also a good performer, but also a bit pricy (although
>better than 3 com).  He's willing to spend around $2000 on the
>equipment, but I'd really like
>to get him the best price/performance I can.
>
>I'm looking into Netgear equipment (because I use them at home and find
>the p rice reasonable).  Their stackable 16 port hubs and network
>adapters seem to be at a very good price, but I question their
>reliability and performance. Does anyone have any experience with this
>equipment?
>
>I'm also open to suggestions to other possible low cost/high performance
>solutions.

About 6 months ago in a similar situation I selected an Allied Telesyn
AT724i (guessing number from memory). This is a 24 port auto 10/100
switch (not hub) with internal power supply. Price was about $630 from
http://www.warehouse.com/. Installed it and forgot about it. It just
works.

The advantage of a switch over a hub is that dynamically any two hosts
can establish a full duplex connection, eliminating collisions, and in
theory allowing twice the bandwidth.

The 10/100 feature is nice as the switch buffers between one speed and
the other. Nobody has to do anything special, it just happens.

Device has 3 LED's for each of the 24 ports so you have plenty of
flashing lights to entertain Pointy-Haired-Bosses.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net