Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:57:29 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        network boy <sheep.boy@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ensoniq sound support

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 03:00:07PM -0600, network boy wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to compile a kernel with sound support.  But I can't find a
> line to enter into my kernel to support my card.  It is an Ensoniq
> PCI 128.  Under Linux it used the module: ES1371.
> Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance

I have a Soundblaster PCI 128 Value which is, I think, what Creative
renamed your card when they bought Ensoniq. Anyway, it's the same
chip, ES1371.

I have the following in my kernel config:

controller      pnp0

device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

As the card is PCI it is found at pcm1 not pcm0 but *don't* change the
above line to pcm1 (or your card will be found as pcm2 :)).

I see this at boot:

pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0x6800
es1371: codec vendor CRY revision 19
es1371: codec features Bass & Treble Headphone out 20bit DAC 18bit ADC
es1371: stereo enhancement: Crystal Semiconductor 3D Stereo Enhancement
Probing for PnP devices:

[snip]

pcm0 not found

If you get errors when trying to run sound apps, such as 2device not
configured" or "no such device", then, as root:

	    # cd /dev
	    # ./MAKEDEV snd1

That should fix it.

HTH.

> Sincerely,
> Craig

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000