Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:57:27 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
Subject:   Re: Installed new kernel and then make buildworld and now no internet?

On Saturday 05 March 2005 12:40 am, Brian John wrote:
> Hello.
> I just added a couple of config attributes to my make.conf, namely
> this (I think this is close):
> CPU-TYPE = athlon-xp
> CFLAGS = -0 -pipe
> COPTFLAGS = -0 -pipe
>
> Then I did a "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel".  I then
> rebooted into single user mode and did a "make buildworld".  Then I
> restarted and now I have no internet.  I can't get any pages to come
> up in firefox or dillo.  I tried pinging www.yahoo.com and I got 69%
> packet loss.  Also, when I try to do "portupgrade -ap" to reinstall
> all of my ports, it can't connect to download the distfiles.  What
> can I do to fix this?

Do it in the right order. You want a new kernel build to use the code
produced by the buildworld. Now, you have a user land from one
buildworld and a kernel from the previous one. Processes such a top may
not even work in your environment.

You boot to single user mode to test the new kernel and stop all of the
competing processes. Then, you do the installworld and run mergemaster
to update the configuration files.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart