Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:27:19 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        puga@mauibuilt.com
Cc:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW/VLAN

> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:00:22 -1000
> From: Richard Puga <puga@mauibuilt.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Yes I do have the vlan entry in my kernel. I have tried it with and without.
>
> The MTU of the fxp cards it set to its new default of 1500 (as of 4.4) and
> curiously enough
> can not be set higher as the maximum length of an ether net packet is 1518.
>
> The bridge passes the 802.1q packets just fine and I can view them with
> tcpdump.
>
> it seems that ipfw ignores them, either treating them as a malformed ether
> net packet or one that
> is not ip.. im not sure that's just a guess..

MTU != Frame size...MTU == Packet size

The MTU is a specification of the largest IP packet that may be
transmitted over an interface. The MTU does not include the Ethernet
framing (6 bytes destination + 6 bytes source + 2 bytes protocol +
4 bytes FCS). Nor does it include any bytes used for an 802.1q VLAN
tag.

Because some older Ethernet hardware cannot handle the new, extended
frame size to allow for 802.1q, you are stuck with reducing the MTU.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)