Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:55:42 +0900 (JST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A peculiar port; advice requested ...

 * 2. The install process involves a recompilation of (a) the runtime system
 *    and (b) the SML/NJ standard libraries.  The default installation
 *    process expects to do this `in-place' in the final installation
 *    directory tree.
 *
 *    I'm somehow not comfortable with a compilation under /usr/local as
 *    part of `make'; however is it acceptable?  Does any other port do
 *    anything similar?

Please change it if possible.  But if it's really really hard, you can
leave it that way.  In that case, please do the compilation in the
install target, rather than doing the installation in the build
target. :)

 * 3. Is creating a new hierarchy root say "${PREFIX}/sml-nj" ok?  The default
 *    installation expects "bin", "bin.${ARCH}", "lib"  etc. under
 *    this `ROOT'.  Changing the installation to confirm to a more
 *    conventional "/usr/local/*/" structure would make a FreeBSD SML/NJ
 *    installation different from the other unix installations.  Do
 *    we have a strict policy on directory hierarchies?

Again, please change it if possible, but if you think that is very
hard or it will cause a great hardship to SML/NJ users, that's fine.

Satoshi