Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:34:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec)
Subject:   Triton-II support... when?

Greetings -
I understand that the new Triton-II chipset will be making its debut
on system boards around the end of March. I've heard it will provide for
an ~5% memory access speed gain, plus concurrent access to PCI and ISA
busses (whatever that buys me). Perhaps someone else can explain these
things better than I, and put the purported benefits of Triton-II into
perspective for us non-chipset-savvy buyers.

I was about to upgrade a 486/50 to a 133Mhz Endevour. My questions are:
o  What will Triton-II really buy me?
o  Is it worth a 4-6 week wait for Triton-II main boards to arrive?
o  Will FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE boot/run on Triton-II main boards as-is?
o  If not, how long will it be before Triton-II support is added to
   the FreeBSD kernel?

Any comments welcome... Thanks!
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA