Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:03:29 -0600
From:      "Greg Stringfellow" <greg@prismnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Distributed Passwords

Used to be, when I had 500 customers my simple scripts for passing password
information via SSH from computer to computer worked great. Now that I've
got a few more customers (just one or two:) I want to either find possible a
better alternative to copying or maybe better scripts before I go and
re-invent the wheel.

Basically, what I'm doing is copying user information from my main FreeBSD
box to my other boxes (mail, web, etc). This script runs every 10 minutes
and copies the master.passwd file over and installs it into the remote
system. Only problem with this method is that you have only a single point
to change passwd information. No good if that machine goes down.

I've though about NIS, but it seems like I could be burned reall good with
this one. I could be wrong however, it's been known to happen.

So I was hoping that maybe somebody here might have some suggestions or
examples they could share on this subject. Are there other secure
alternatives to copying the master.passwd file between all machine? Does
somebody have a turnkey script they would like to share?

As always, any information is appreciated.

Greg

---
Greg Stringfellow
President / Network Administrator