Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:03:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        longonic@luccioa1.itgate.mln.mts.dec.com (CARLO LONGONI @MLN)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse trouble.

CARLO LONGONI @MLN wrote...
> [This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]
>
> TO :  questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Subject : Xfree86 mouse problems on Freebsd 2.05
>

> Hello there,
>
> I've bought the CD version of FreeBSD from Walnut Creek which
included Xfree86 3.1.1
> but I'm having some problems to use the last .

Congratulations, and welcome, but your software is a little out of date.
2.1 was released last November, and is available for download, or on CD.

> First of all I will tell you something about my configuration ,I have
a Compaq Presario
> 7150 Pentium 75 PCI with S3 Trio64 Svga card ,16 MB RAM ,520 MB Hard
drive and a ATAPI CDROM (I know is not yet supported , but you think
I will be able to use it in the future with a patch maybe ?...) .

Already supported, though reports vary, I don't use one myself...

> I have installed FreeBsd from a dos partition after having created a
133 MB Freebsd
> partition with the custom installation and I've installed the common
distribution set
> plus the "system" sources and the xfree86 kit.

Sounds like you may be a little tight for space.  How much swap
did you allow?

> After the installation I've configured XFree86 to use the X interface
but trying to
> start it I've got the following error message :
>
> device not found /dev/mouse.
>
> After reading through the documentation I've realized that I had to
reconfigure the
> kernel to have my mouse ( a normal PS/2 with two button) be recognised from the
> operating system.
> So with the help of the LINT example I've created a MYKERNEL containing
the following
> instruction :
>
> device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
>
> I've recreated successfully the kernel and I've tried again to run
X application , and this
> time I've received the following error :
>
> no device found at 0x60
>
> With some diagnostic program I've checked that the PS2 mouse is actually
at irq 12
> address 0x60 so I can't understand why Freebsd is not able to find it .

Does 'dmesg' say that the device is found?

If so, you are just missing the device file.  As root, go to '/dev' and
do:

./MAKEDEV psm0

after that do

ln -s psm0 mouse

The second command will match your XF86Config definition for the mouse
device.  After that, everything should be fine.

> So at the end my question is how can I get to run X programs on my
machine , what's
> wrong with my procedure or what's wrong in my machine ?
>
> Thank you very much for your attention and collaboration and
congratulation for the
> quality of the product .
>

>  				Roberto  (Milan , Italy).

One last word, it would be helpful if the lines of your message were
shorter.

Regards,

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key