Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:19:42 -0400
From:      Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater@gldis.ca>
To:        Roderick van Domburg <freebsd-questions@vandomburg.demon.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why gcc 2.95 in FreeBSD?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 06:30:59PM +0200, Roderick van Domburg wrote:
> Something I've been wondering about but haven't been able to find the answer
> to: Why is by default gcc 2.95 included in FreeBSD as opposed to the newer
> gcc 3.0?
>
> When I visit the GNU GCC website, it seems like 2.95 is ancient... it dates
> back to 1999. Don't all of the current Linux distributions ship with 3.0? Not
> that I believe that we should blindly follow Linux (at all *grin*), but I am
> concerned about cross-platform compatibility.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roderick

newer != better

The -stable branch uses what is tried, tested and true.

The -current branch is development, -current has gcc 3.1 as the default
compiler.

2.95 has been used since 4.0 was -current, and 2.95 will remain in 4.x forever.
A look at the release history will show that 4.0-RELEASE was completed in
March 2000.

Does that answer your question?
--
Jeremy Faulkner			http://www.gldis.ca