Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:47:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I hate Solaris ACL's!!!

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

> Okay, I've got a big FFS partition I'm trying to share between
> FreeBSD-current and Solaris/x86, which sounds like a recipe for trouble,
> I know, but it seems to be working well (assuming you fsck thoroughly
> when you switch to the other OS), except for one big problem, thanks to
> Solaris 2.5's ACL implementation.

Arghh!  Never mind.  Solaris doesn't really like the FFS partition after
all.  I was getting annoying mouse/screen freezes in OpenWindows, then
kernel panics, and finally Solaris just munged the FDISK (God, ever since
I bought Solaris, it's been nothing but FDISK corruptions..) on that drive
and I'm back in FreeBSD now.  I've decided that the <50MB of duplication I
had planned to save by sharing a partition between the two OS's is not
worth the heartache!  In spite of the fact that it was an extremely clever
idea, if I do say so myself..  :-)

As for why I'm even bothering with Solaris when FreeBSD is obviously much
faster and nicer:  I want to run Java Workshop and the JDK on a
"supported platform" that doesn't have Windows in the title.  Also, I do
SPARC/Solaris development and wanted an environment as similar as
possible at home for testing purposes.  Even still, it's almost not worth
it.  And since NetBSD's Solaris emulation on a SPARC is not that
compatible, I'm having doubts that if I get it going in FreeBSD it'll
even be worthwhile, but I'll try anyway.  I'll keep everyone posted...

---Jake