Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:20:52 -0600
From:      "Dragon Knight ][" <dragonk@mato.com>
To:        "Penny Huston" <phuston1@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: anotherthing

Well, FreeBSD uses a little different 'system' than dos.  As far as
executable files go, a file is executable if it has an executable flag
set.  try an  'ls -l'   you will get a listing something like this:

-rw-r--r--  1 dragonk  dragonk   189892 Jul  7  1980 binchunker.zip
-rwxr-xr-x  1 dragonk  dragonk     3571 Jun 29  1980 burn
drwxr-xr-x  2 dragonk  dragonk      512 Jul 12  1980 c

the first file can only be read, the (and written to by the user dragonk),
the second is executable, which you can tell because of the x's, the third
is a directory, leading d.  It does not matter what a file is named, or what
the extension is.   any file can be executable.  A really good explanation
of this can be found in several places if I recall, freebsd.org, or Greg
Lehey's Complete FreeBSD are great sources.

Samuel