Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:42:36 -0300 (EST)
From:      Carlos Eduardo Selonke de Souza <cess@matrix.com.br>
To:        Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: text justification in docbook

On 30-Jun-00 Harry Newton wrote:
> Is it possible to specify that text be fully justified (i.e. flush
> left and right edges) when using Docbook/SGML ? I know it's possible
> in linuxdoc.
>
> Would you CC a copy of your reply back to me directly ? Cheers.

Yes Its possible.

You have to define a customized stylesheet.

I am using Modular DocBook StyleSheets, so my example will be for it.

Under the directory that contains your print stylesheets create a file like
these:

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook Print
Stylesheet//EN" CDATA DSSSL>
]>

;; $Id: plain.dsl,v 1.3 1999/07/02 17:30:53 nwalsh Exp $
;;
;; This file is part of the Modular DocBook Stylesheet distribution.
;; See ../README or http://www.berkshire.net/~norm/dsssl/
;;
;; Example of a customization layer on top of the modular docbook style
;; sheet.  Definitions inserted in this file take precedence over
;; definitions in the 'use'd stylesheet(s).

(define %default-quadding%
  ;; The default quadding
  'justify)

<external-specification id="docbook" document="docbook.dsl">

Them, You could use:

#jade -t rtf -d your_customized_stylesheet.dsl foo.sgml

You could also read,

http://nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/doc/print/default-quadding.html

It will explain in more details.

If you have any doubts you could send me an email.

Regards.

Carlos Eduardo Selonke de Souza
http://www.br-unix.org/users/cess