Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:59:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

> Karl Denninger wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Note this:
> >
> > typedef u_int32_t       uid_t;          /* user id */
> >
> > Ok, so its a 32-bit value, right?
> >
> > Then why does pwd_mkdb blow chunks if I specify anything beyond 65535?
>
> It's  only a warning message.. theya re working,
> but thay are bad for NFS as it has a 16 bit UID field.
> hense teh warning..
> it probably shoul dbe a more explanatory message however..
> it USED TO quit, but I made in non  fatal a few months ago
> as we use UIDS > 65K as special internal system UIDs here..

Yuck.  That means there really is a hard 16-bit limit if you use NFS to
store anything?

Has this been addressed at all?

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!