Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:36:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@snake.srv.net>
To:        Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
Cc:        mattb@minn.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP on-demand dialing

> > Thanks for the response to my question.  I have downloaded both the
> > source and the binaries.  I hate to ask this question but....Now what?
> >
> > I will do some reading on this but have questions on where to put the
> > files and how to compile them.
> > If you could help I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks for putting
> > up with a rookie!
> >
> > Matt Bischel

If you've downloaded the source, here is an outline of what you have to
do:

    (1) Uncompress the archive, wich is tarred and gzipped

        tar -xzvf ppp-970824.src.tar.gz

        I am using ppp-979824 as an example, but you might
        have another date.

    (2) Go into the ppp-979824 directory

    (3) type "make" to compile everything.  You
        will first see routines in the libhack
        subdirectory compiled and then the
        ppp subdirectory.

    (4) If everthing compiles successfully, the
        su to root to get superuser status and
        type "make install"

        (4b) If everything does not compile
             properly, please consult this
             mailing list again.

    (5) It is not a bad idea to read the man
        page for ppp -- it is getting pretty
        informative these days.  Also, if you
        are interested in packet aliasing
        (also known as IP masquerading), consult
        the README.alias file in the ppp-970824/ppp
        source directory.  Finally, there is a
        ppp tutorial in the FreeBSD html handbook.

-- Charles Mott