Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:27:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   strangest weirdness

Well I have just seen what seems to be an unusual filesystem glitch.
I was doing 'make depend' in 2 kernel directories concurrently, and at the
same time as another kernel 'make all' was getting towards the end of its
processing. Both instances of 'make depend' broke by invoking the editor
'ex' on an empty temporary file, following the first invocation of 'mkdep'.
No other instances of 'ex' were running at the time as far as I can tell.

This was with an NFS /usr, and I believe that the 'make' executable was
reinstalled after the 'make all' was started but before the 'make depend'
was started. (yes, it's called stress testing. ;)

I have also noticed that executables dump core often on client machines when
the files on the fileserver have been updated "under their feet". Okay I know
"if it hurts, don't do that", but why do these glitches occur?

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>