Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:31:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to identify ASUS PB-cache modules?

> Howdy,
> I recently bought several sytems containing ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE motherboards.
> When ordering, I asked for 512k pipline-burst cache.  When picking up the
> systems, I thought to ask if they'd actually given me PB cache.  I was
> told that 512k PB cache modules were not available, and that I'd been
> given async cache instead (grrrrrr).

They have been telling you false stories, AAC has been shipping 512K PB
modules for 8 months now.

> So, I get the systems back to the office, fire one up, and after all of
> the usual BIOS messages, I'm greeted with the message "Pipline Burst Cache"!!

:-)

> Can I trust this message?

Yes.

> Do I in fact have PB cache?

Yes.

> Are the guys who built the system really the yahoos that they seem to be?

Most likely.

> Taking a look at the module, I see that it bears the label:  "CACHE
> MODULE CM1   REV 1.3".   It has 4 Winbond W25P010AF-8 chips and one ISSI
> IS61C256AH-15J chip.   Is this the right beastie?

Yes, and even the latest revision of the module :-)  The W25P010AF-8 chips
are 32Kx32 bit PBurst SRAM chips, for 128K bytes of cache each, times 4 of
them makes 512K of cache.  The IS61C256AH-15J is the tag ram.