Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:10:07 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   would this dump/restore scenario work?

When I originally installed FreeBSD 4.3R on my computer about a
month ago I simply made a swap partition and then put everything
under a single root partition.

Over the last month I have done some changes to the install,
upgrading to 4.3 release, adding a bunch of apps, etc...

After reading an excellent article about fine tuning your
FreeBSD  system (http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD/tuning.html)
I would like to set up my box with separate partitions for /,  /var,
/var/tmp, /usr, /home and of course a swap partition.

Everything is currently on a scsi drive. I have already used dump to
back everything up to a new ide drive that was partitioned as one
large slice. This is the command I used to do that:

/sbin/dump -0a -f /max/backup.dump /
("max" is where the ide drive is mounted).

Here's my question: If I nuked the scsi drive, did a clean install of 4.3R from
the CD with the partitioning scheme noted above, and then did a restore from
the dump file, would that work?

Would restore have a problem trying to lay the files back onto a system
that is not partitioned as the same from whence it came?

Thanks,
Jim