Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:03:03 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about the use of ssh-agent(1)

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 05:19:42PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Paul Herman wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> > >   xterm   xterm -n "$USER@$HOST" &
> > >
> > > And I do not want to use the alias.
> > >
> > > This is actually one of those things I have always meant to ask
> > > about. Is there a better way to do that? Setting 'XTerm.title:
> > > $USER@$HOST' in .Xresources would not have the desired effect for
> > > several reasons.
> >
> > in .bashrc / .bash_login depending on your xterms, something like:
> >
> > xtitle () { echo -n -e "\033]0;$*\007"; }
> > if [ "x$TERM" = xxterm ]
> >   then xtitle $USER@$HOST
> > fi
>
> 	I'm a little confused about exactly what the original poster
> is trying to accomplish.

Neither was I (the original poster) when I asked (that was why I
asked). I didn't fully understand from the manpages whether starting a
single instance of ssh-agent would cover all logins (i.e. if I start
it on ttyv0 would it be usable if I then logged in on ttyv1 and/or
started X). The replies I got made it obvious that the best solution
is, as you yourself do, start X as a child of ssh-agent and forget
about ttyv*.

> If you are trying to use ssh-agent in X,
> your best bet is to start your window manager as the child of
> ssh-agent. For example, the last line of my .xinitrc file is:
>
> exec ssh-agent gnome-session
>
> (Yes, I've gone over to the dark side.) That way all windows that are
> started by your window manager will inherit ssh-agent.
>
> 	As for the bash prompt issue, take a look at
> http://freebsd.simplenet.com/Bash-prompts.txt
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Doug

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?