Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:15:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Pirat Sriyotha <pirat@oaep.go.th>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] device timeout

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 03:41:00PM -0700, Pirat Sriyotha wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am using FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0 now.
> it works quite well. But just one thing a moment ago
> i've got a message that says that /kernel: ed0: device timeout.
>
> as i know, this means that i set irq to the wrong number, but i put the
> right one to ed0. both port and irq are correct.
>
> please, so what does this mean for.

The term "device timeout" isn't overly specific.  It's from a driver
that has expected an interrupt, and for some reason it didn't get it.
There could be lots of reasons:

- Could be that the board is set up incorrectly, as you suggest.  This
  is one of the most common reasons.
- Could be that the board is defective.
- Could be that something else is missing.

In the case of an Ethernet board, I'd guess that you have cabling
problems.  If that's not the case, and the board can support more than
one kind of cable, check that it's set up for the correct cable.  "man
ed" will tell you what ifconfig flags you need for your particular
cable.

Greg