Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@packetdesign.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/38554: changing interface ipaddress doesn't seem to work

The following reply was made to PR kern/38554; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Archie Cobbs <archie@packetdesign.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, Guido.Laubner@gmx.de
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:49:36 -0800

 I've verified that this bug still exists in 4.7-RELEASE. I made sure
 to delete the old address (replacing it) rather than just adding the
 new one.

 What happens is that if you have a connected socket, then change the
 interface IP address, packets transmitted as a result of writing to the
 socket still use the old original IP address. This is "logical" because
 the socket is once and for all time bound to its original source IP
 address. Of course, any reply packets coming back from the remote host
 are dropped as they have an unrecognized destination IP address.

 My test used a TCP socket (ssh connection) but I'm sure that UDP would
 do the same thing as well. Interestingly, when you change the IP address
 back to its original value the socket comes back alive.

 Obviously it would be wrong to force outgoing packets use the new address,
 so probably the right thing to do here is return ENETDOWN to the write(2)
 (or whaveter) system call that prompted the outgoing data.

 -Archie