Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 14:42:35 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32000 users limit

>I believe the limit is due to using a 2 byte signed int
>
>On Thu, 20 May 1999, Joao Carlos wrote:
>
>>         I've seen in some place that UIDs in FreeBSD had to be less than
>> 32000. I'd like to know how i can increase this limit, since a provider here
>> on my city has crashed its server because it has reached more than 32000
>> users.
>>         And... why this limit?

   uids in FreeBSD/i386 are 4 byte ints and at least that large on
FreeBSD/Alpha. The only thing that comes to mind as a potential problem
is NFS...I seem to recall that uids/gids in the v2 protocol are 16 bits,
but I could be wrong about that.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org