Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:06:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   personal learning network/concentrated experience

I have some cash $1300 and I am trying to set up a a small network so i
can play with bsd and hack around check out samba natd cvsup and some of
the other ports and generally learn what is what.(without putting my
production machine at risk.)

What I need is hardware.

I have

an old ibm 486DX\si with 24mb and a 212mb harddrive.
a pentium 166 Gateway with 32mbs of memory win95 that I want to leave
intact
I have a comcast cable connection to the internet
and some parts a couple nic cards( 3com509) and a spare cdrom drive, 4
2gig scsi drives.

Could someone give me some recommendations on a cheap stable mobo,cpu,nic
that I can use to set up configure Freebsd,Nt( need it for
work),linux multiple times and in multiple ways until I get it? I can
scrounge old hardware but unless you know the person it is hard to know
what your getting so i prefer new. Or at least three identical old systems
from a reliable vendor so i can make some comparisons.

I really want to maximize my learning and immerse myself in freebsd but I
don't have a machine I can risk.

I hoping to avoid multiple monitors so i would also like to hear peoples
thoughts on KVM's that will work with Freebsd.

HDs are cheap so i may try swapping them in drive trays so I can save some
of the old configurations and have all the boxes available for play.

Your input would be appreciated.

TIA

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me : " That guy sure owed me
a lot of money."

-JH