Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:43:14 +0000
From:      "Dan - Sr. Admin" <dm@globalserve.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-Release (Nov 1998)

> That's what I was afraid of - "unknown" means you have an a.out kernel.
> I'm wondering if I should "convert to elf" before building 3.1-STABLE,
> or will that happen
> automagically when I build the world and kernel with the 3.1R tool chain
> ???

3.1-STABLE will install an ELF kernel automagically.  You will have to use
make -DFORCE install though, to ensure that you read the documentation
available first (http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html i think).

make -DFORCE install will also install the new boot loader to handle ELF
kernels.

Regards,
--
Dan Moschuk (TFreak!dm@globalserve.net)