Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 12:27:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for Wireless Network Hardware suggestion

I use the Orinoco cards (both Silver and Gold), the Dell TrueMobile card
(an Orinoco Card in Dell clothing) in several PC laptops at home  (Dell
laptop and Toshiba), I also use the Apple Airport Card (Orinoco/WaveLan
card in Apple clothing).  As far as a transmitter/router, I've used both
the Orinoco RG-1000 and Apple Airport Base Station with very good results.

Though the RG-1000 and Apple Base Station are essentially the same
hardware, the Apple product has better tools for configuration --there is
even  a FreeBSD port that allows the Base Station to be configged from X
windows.

Caveat:  The software that comes with the Base station as a "firmware"
package come in a .sea (Mac self-extracting-archive) file and, as far as I
know, requires a Mac to explode it into a working firmware file.

Pricing:  The Orinoco retails for about $400, the Apple Airport Base
Station for $299.

Both units have internal modems AND rj45 connectors for bridged
dialup/Ethernet access, both units support cable modems and DSL as well.

A DHCP server and NAT capabilites are included and may be selected if
desired.  The Apple product also supports IP port forwarding, SNMP
functions, and accessability switches to restrict MAC or IP addresses that
are allowed/disallowed to connect.

The Orinco product claims to have 300 feet of radius coverage, the Apple
150 feet of radius coverage -- both are "liberal" claims.  I've seen no
difference in the coverage of either unit and the distance from the
transmitter is Highly dependant on evironmental factors such as the amount
of metal in the walls, large rolls of paper products, weather and rf
interference.  In real-world conditions (my home and office) I get about
100 feet of radius coverage for either product.

I like both products, but the Apple Base Station is more fun (for me) to
geek around with.