Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Hetzels@aol.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Ted Spradley wrote:

> > >uname -r
> > >
> > >which will result in the message:
> > >
> > >FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE-AB
> > >
> > >or
> > >
> > >FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE (0360)
> >
> > I think that this is a very good idea. I would delete the "-STABLE"
> > portion of the label. "FreeBSD 2.2 (0360)" conveys the same info, is shorter
> > and eliminates some of the confusion. For the RELEASES, I would use
> > "FreeBSD 2.2.0", "FreeBSD 2.2.5", etc.
>
> I like this.  If it's got three digits (e.g. 2.2.5), it's a release.  If it's
> got two digits plus the extra part, it's taken from an on-going branch, and
> the extra part indicates when it was taken.  That should help clear up any
> confusion between branches and releases.

But releases are also taken from ongoing branches.  In any case, uname -r
on my machine now produces:

2.2-STABLE-971004-19:45 PDT

which is explicit in indicating the date and time at which cvsup began
downloading the sources.  That seems more informative than a code that
has to be translated into a date.

	Annelise