Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:29:26 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        smpatel@prognet.com (Sujal Patel), hackers@freebsd.org, thorpej@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Puting PnP support into -current by default

Careful here with the PnP stuff...

At the very least the PnP support should have an interface in the
kernel config file similar to the way we currently configured devices.

Let me explain, the current gus pnp configuration is as follows:
1. For motherboards which supports PnP

 device gus0 at isa?   vector gusintr

In this case, the gus driver at probe times calls its PnP routines
to find a GUS PnP and configure it.

2. For motherboards which don't support PnP or have broken PnP support

device gus0 at isa? port  0x220 irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x7 vector gusintr

In this case, the gus driver at probe times calls the PnP routines however
it uses the configuration values pass to the driver to activate and
configure the GUS PnP.

Experience has shown that if the users have to configure a device
in the kernel config file as well in the driver section that it
gets confusing;hence, the approach taken with the gus pnp driver.

	Hope this helps,
	Amancio