Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:33:22 +0100
From:      "Tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jails creation

Miroslav Lachman ha scritto:
> It is not true. Jail command does not requires compilation, nor
> exactly same version. I am running 6.x version jail on system with 7.2
> and you can run 32bit (i386) jail on 64bit (amd64) system.
I did not know, and this is very useful to me also. I supposed, as the
jail kernel is a "fake" kernel, both systems should have the same
version, but if I can mix it's a great opportunity.

> The `jail` command is there just for starting the jail, not for
> building it. The jail even does not need to be a full installed system!
> There are too many different scenarios with jails, that there can not
> be "one command to satisfy them all".
> It is up to administrator to prepare the best environment for his/her
> needs.
>
> If you need the full copy of the base system, you can do it really
> easily (by tar as was suggested by Vincet Hoffman or dump & restore),
> and if you do it for each jail, you loose the benefits of shared
> read-only base directory (you will need more disk space and more memory).
>
> If you do not want to spend some time by compilation, you can install
> the jail from installation media you already have from system install.
>
> cd /some/media/7.2-RELEASE/base
> mkdir /path/to/myjail
> setenv DESTDIR /path/to/myjail
> sh install.sh
>
> That's all! It is too simple in contrast to source build or manually
> copy something from base.

Thanks! In this way it is a lot more easier to setup and/or customize.

Tonino

        Inter@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
   http://www.interazioni.it      tonix@interazioni.it