Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 13:32:08 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Code questions

Hi,

sorry for the multiple questions but here goes..
(all these based on 3.2-STABLE system)

1. Are there plans to include the reverse of the
   "ep0: promiscuous mode enabled" message ?
   (ie. "ep0: promiscuous mode disabled") this was suggested
   before in the mailing-lists but did anything come of it ?
   (for all interfaces capable of the mode of course)

2. when I run ppp without the tun interface compiled into the
   kernel it complains about an invalid interface, unless I
   manually do "kldload if_tun" beforehand. Are the modules for
   the network interfaces in /modules/if_* dynamically loadable ?
   Incidentally when I tried to do a tcpdump -i tun0 once I
   kldload'd if_tun and ran ppp (successfully too!), tcpdump
   would not recognise the interface

3. seeing as IPFILTER comes with fbsd now, are there any plans
   to incorporate it into the conf files (/etc/rc*) in NetBSD,
   they seem to have support for it (in /etc/rc.conf there are
   ipfilter=YES|NO ipnat=YES|NO options which use files like
   /etc/ipf.conf and /etc/ipnat.conf, AFAIK) ?

[unrelated + trivial question]
is it possible to customise the colour of the kernel messages ?
ie. in i386 ports, FreeBSD uses bright white, NetBSD uses green
and OpenBSD uses white on blue (I think) ?

Thanks in advance,
- Cillian