Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 16:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      alex carey <fire@cats.ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not installing, no matter WHAT!

Hello,

System:  I have a 486 dx66 with 8MB RAM, one of those junky
"Sound Blaster" Mistushita CD-ROMS, and an NE2000 ethernet card.

Partitions:  450MB on /
	     120MB on /home
	     ~66MB swap
		(all devoted bsd)

Problem:  Want to install BSD.  I have the 4-cd set (3.0) and brand new,
shiny boot disks that i d/l off the site and (correctly) dd'd.
	  I've run the installation thing a million times already.  I do
all the kernel specs correctly, it recognizes all of my hardware.
	  If i do the ethernet setup thing, i *AM* set up, i *AM* on the
internet.  It *SHOULD* work.
	  But...
	  When i get to the actual installation part of the deal, it gets
to the first screen, where it's extracting bin to / and it just SITS
there, and SITS there and SITS there.

What i've tried:  CD-ROM (sits at screen)
		  ftp from ftp.freebsd.org (Undefined error: 0)
		  ftp from my other machine, with the cd mounted
		      on pub/3.0-RELEASE (sits at screen)
			my other machine is a p1/133 running RH5.2
		  floppies (patience gave out after the first disk
		      wouldn't go)

I'd really like this thing to work.  Please help!

alexandra carey
fire@cats.ucsc.edu